Castro is still pretty fresh in the iOS App Store (currently version 1.0.6, first release came in late 2013) but has already beaten the competitors in my opinion. Here is why:
- Castro is winning by simplicity. Focusing on features and using using the fresh iOS 7 design.
- Great simple feed search engine (worked perfect for my favorite German podcasts).
- Push notification works.
- It is stable.
- Once again, I like the simple intuitive design.
- When I open Instacast by sliding push messages on my lock screen it crashes nearly up to 50%.
- Up Next Feature does not work for me. Lists are useless, everything works just through Up Next.
- Sync feature with its OS X app is a mess, similar to Apple’s Podcast app.
- Sync with other iOS and OS X devices is a mess.
- Push notification is not existing (Is it? I have never seen any).
- Navigation is too complicated.
My ideas to improve Castro:
- Add an option for continuously playing all my podcast episodes, instead of stopping after each one.
- Add support for password protected feeds.
- Start playing an episode immediately by opening the episode. I do not want to tap play after opening it.
- Integrate Airplay button in the lower control bar.
- Add missing sharing options to share your current podcast episode on Twitter.
- Double Tap to play episodes immediately instead of opening it.